ALPINE COUPLE’S HOME DESTROYED IN CHRISTMAS EVE FIRE

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

 

By Miriam Raftery

December 31, 2013 (Alpine) – Residents of Alpine are pulling together to help a young couple whose home on Arnold Way was destroyed by a fire on Christmas Eve.

Shara Halverson and her boyfriend, Sean Barrett were away visiting friends when their home caught fire.  They have no renters insurance and lost almost everything in the flames, though they are grateful for small miracles.

A jewelry box that belonged to Halverson’s grandmother survived the blaze, as did an ammonite fossil given to her by a friend and most special of all, a love letter that she wrote to Barrett when they first fell in love. “That’s what really matters,” she told 10 News.  But they can’t afford a new place to live, let alone replacing all that was lost.

The Alpine Community Network  reports that community members hope to give the young couple a new beginning.   People wishing to donate items can drop off items at the Chic Boutique in Alpine. 

Items needed include pillows, blankets, dog beds, toiletries, small appliances such as a rice cooker or crockpot, and clothing. Shara Halverson wears a size 3 or 5 in clothing and shoe size 8; Sean Barrett wears a 32-34 small or medium shirt and has size 10 shoes. Sean lost his computer and a guitar.

A PayPal account has been set up at trueshara@gmail.com and questions can be sent to Shar’s sister, Sondra, at sonniestyle@gmail.com.  

Members of the Alpine Community Network have pitched in to offer furnishings, including a sofa, table and chairs, helping to brighten the holiday for this young couple in need.