By Nancy Clement
February 10, 2012 (La Mesa) - Valentine’s Day is almost here--and there is still some time to plan a special celebration for you and your sweetheart. What if you have more love than money? Here are some ideas that do not require a lot of expense, just some planning on your part.
1. Write a love letter to your sweetheart and describe the top five things you absolutely adore about your lover. Stumped for inspiration? Check out this website that has the 10 best love letters ever written, this should get your creative juices flowing
2. Re-create your first date, especially if it was not an expensive date and if you have fond memories of that time.
3. Agree to celebrate on a different day, not the 14th, as prices are sometimes increased. Clue your lover in about the change in plans so he or she doesn’t think you forgot. Look in our coupon section to find great restaurants with reduced prices.
4. Goldstar offers half off on local events; check out their Valentine’s Day specials. They also have half off on many events http://www.goldstar.com/san-diego/valentinesday2012. You do need to sign up as a member to participate.
5. Create “Love Coupons” redeemable at a time convenient to both of you. This way you get to give a unique, one of a kind gift like a foot massage or a car detailing, anything that you enjoy doing that your mate also enjoys.
6. Plan a getaway for just the two of you. What do you do if you do not have extra money right now? Stay at home and make this time just about fun and romance. Spend the time just the two of you, doing all your favorite things, but not housework, laundry or other unfun things. If you have children, call in favors and have a family member or friend take them for one night. Make the night something memorable.
7. Do you and your dearest enjoy visiting museums? How about picking up a coupon at Macy’s so you can enjoy half of the entry fees at 40 Museums: http://www.sandiegomuseumcouncil.org/museum_month/.
8. Go to your favorite outdoor spot, take a simple and delicious picnic.
9. Go on a hike www.mtrp.org or to your favorite beach and take a moonlight walk.
10. Cook your lover’s favorite meal, complete with flowers and candlelight, and favorite love songs playing in the background http://top40.about.com/od/top10lists/tp/top100lovesongs.htm.
Note to singles: Many of the ideas above can be adapted for individuals, so go ahead and pamper yourself!
Find many more great ideas for places to celebrate Valentine's Day in our "Romance in East County" special section at http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/romance-in-east-county .
Whatever you decide to do, make sure to let those you love know how important they are to you and how much they enriched your life by being a part of it. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Nancy Clement writes money saving tips to encourage mindful spending so you have more dollars available for housing, travel, retirement and investment plans. She is a Realtor® and Mortgage Consultant; e-mail her at Dollar-WiseDiva@Cox.net or call 619-589-6139 with column suggestions or comments.