County News Service
June 2, 2018 (San Diego’s East County) -- This June, wait out those warmer temperatures for the cool breezes the evening brings. We’ve planned star parties, evening hikes and educational programs the whole family will enjoy – at or after sunset! Inclement weather may cancel; contact the parks by clicking on the links below.
- Saturday, June 2 (8 – 9 p.m.) – California Wolf Center Presentation at Heise
Enjoy this presentation on the history of wolves in North America, along with a discussion on the California Wolf Center's involvement in wolf recovery in the wild, and what they are doing to reintroduce them to their natural habitats.
- Saturday, June 9 (8 – 10 p.m.) – Star Party at Oakoasis
Arrive at sunset to search for a twilight hike to search for bats and scorpions. Stick around to view the stars with the San Diego Astronomy Association! Check out the event on Facebook.
- Friday, June 15 (7 – 10 p.m.) – What’s Up in the Sky? At Sycamore/Goodan
Meet at the Goodan Staging area and head down to the Visitor Center for an exciting astronomer-led presentation on stars and constellations. Then, step outside to see the real deal!
- Saturday, June 16 (6:30 – 10:30 p.m.) – Star Party and Family Hike at Santa Ysabel West
Join staff and friends from the Curiosity Peak Observatory and Julian Dark Sky Network for an easy-to-moderate hike. Learn about local history, plants and wildlife along the way, then stop to gaze at the stars through telescopes.
- Sunday, June 17 (6 – 8 p.m.) – Sunset stroll to the Dam at Lake Morena
Take in the beautiful views and the sounds of nature on this easy 3-mile trail via a ranger-led walk to the Lake Morena Dam – right as the sun sets over the lake!