PARTY IN THE FAST LANE: HIGHWAY 52 GRAND OPENING FESTIVAL MARCH 19
March 18, 2011 (Santee)—Thousands of East County residents are expected to party hearty at Saturday's “52 from Sea to Santee” grand opening festival being held right on top of the new freeway connector, State Route 52, on March 19 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The long-awaited stretch of freeway will connect to State Route 67, creating a straight route to Santee from I-5 and the sea.
This one-of-a-kind community festival will include a three-mile run/walk/ride, music, ribbon cutting ceremony, sponsor/vendor booths, and fun for all ages. East County Magazine will have a booth there, along with many local businesses. See below for location and parking details.
· Event will be held on the SR 52 Freeway, just east of Cuyamaca Street. Participants will access the event by foot or bike from the freeway on- and off-ramps.
· Fun 3-mile Walk/Run/Ride (Arrive 30 minutes early). Starts on the Freeway at the Cuyamaca Street Exit and heads west to the Fanita Drive Exit. Participants will be directed through a turnaround and head back to the Community Festival located in the eastbound lanes of the freeway at Cuyamaca Street.
· No parking will be allowed on the freeway. Pedestrian traffic may access the event from the Cuyamaca Street or Magnolia Avenue Exits via walk/ride.
· Complimentary Shuttle Service to and from the event will be provided by MTS from the Sonrise Church located at 8805 N. Magnolia Ave. and the Gillespie Field Trolley Station (Weld Boulevard).
· Handicap parking will be available at the Caltrans Field Office located at 9851 Buena Vista Avenue, Santee, 92077.
The event is hosted by SANDAG (San Diego Association of Governments), CalTrans (California Transportation Dept.), the City of Santee, and the Santee Chamber of Commerce. Additional sponsors are sought.
For more information, call Tedi Jackson, SANDAG, 519-595-5313.