June 23,2012 (San Diego’s East County) – The recent wildfires serve as warnings that if you haven’t already cleared defensible space around your home, now is the time to do so. For tips on creating defensible space, the zones pictured, as well as a guide to preparing and evacuating in the event a major wildfire occurs, visit this website: http://www.readyforwildfire.org/defensible_space
By Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna, East County Magazine “In-House Fire Chief”
June 13, 2012 (San Diego’s East County)--Summer is here and brush fires are already happening throughout San Diego, Southern California and historic fires currently burning in Colorado and New Mexico.
Resources are being stripped from local areas and it’s important that homeowners do their part to mitigate the threat of wildfire protecting their property and to those that fight these fires with limited budgets due to our economy.
By Sam DiGiovanna
June 10, 2012 (San Diego County)
- Listen to your portable radio for reports and evacuation information.
- Back your car into the garage or park it in an open space facing the direction of escape.
- Close garage windows and doors, but leave them unlocked.
- Confine pets to one room.
- Arrange temporary housing.
- When advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Wear protective clothing.
- Take your emergency kit.
- Lock your home.
- Follow the evacuation route that your local officials have identified.