March 2, 2013 (Washington, D.C.) – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently issued alerts or other safety information about a number of products, including metal-on-metal hip implants, which release metal particles into the bloodstream, sleep drugs that reduce morning alertness—especially in women, and a motion sickness drug packaged in error as an iron supplement.
November 28, 2012 -- (San Diego’s East County) – ECM World Watch helps you be an informed citizen about important issues globally and nationally. As part of our commitment to reflecti all voices and views, we include links to a wide variety of news sources representing a broad spectrum of political, religious, and social views. Top world and U.S. headlines include:
- Supreme Court blocks Illinois law banning taping of police (Chicago Tribune)
- More Republicans break with Norquist on anti-tax pledge (Washington Post)
- U.S. Fiscal cliff: Death, taxes and the GOP (BBC)
- U.S. gas prices see sharpest dip since 2008 (CNN)
- Millions will qualify for new options under health care law in next few months; most have no idea (Washington Post)
- Five economic trends to be thankful for (Washington Post)
- Electronic tracking: New constraint for Saudi women (France24)
- Anger as Hungarian far-right leader demands list of Jews (Reuters)
- Spanish company involved in nuclear smuggling scheme with Iran (Reuters)
- Clinton announces cease fire between Israel and Hamas (The Hill)
- With Clinton’s shuttle diplomacy success, focus shifts to long-term Mideast solution (Washington Post)
- Egypt: Who holds the power? (BBC)
- Egyptian judges prepare for a strike (NPR)
- Call for noise based wind buffer laws (Queensland Country Life)
- Grapefruit and pills mix: warning (BBC)
- Abortion rate drops 5%, largest drop in decade (LA Times)
- Rare Meat Allergy Caused By Tick Bites May Be On The Rise (NPR)
- Dogs being trained to sniff out ovarian cancer (CBS News)
- FDA halts operations at peanut butter plant (UT San Diego)
- Smoking rots brain, says study (BBC)
Read more for excerpts and links to full stories.
- Al Jazeera: tests suggest Arafat died of radioactive polonium poisoning (USA Today)
- Mexico’s president-elect may double security spending – aide (Reuters)
- Iran long range missiles attack ‘mock’enemy bases (ABC news)
- Report describes brutal torture centers in Syria (CNN)
- Obama, Romney campaign to square off over energy (The Hill)
- Congress passes student loan bill (Huffington Post)
- The bomb buried in Obamacare explodes today – Hallelujah! (Forbes)
- More state leaders considering opting out of Medicare expansion (Washington Post)
- Romney campaign enters ‘message mayhem’ on insurance mandate (USA Today)
- The Nation: Guns blamed for started wildfires in parched west (North County Times)
- This summer is ‘what global warming looks like’ (AP/Associated Press)
- Deadly land hurricane strikes Midwest, Atlantic states (Accuweather)
- A health care Judas recounts his conversion (CNN)
The workshop will be held from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the University of San Diego, Hahn University Center, Forum B, 5998 Alcala Park Way, San Diego, CA 92111.
May 12, 2012 (Washington, D.C.) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that it is seeking public comment on a proposal encouraging manufacturers to consider the safety of children in the design of new X-ray imaging devices. In the draft guidance, FDA is recommending that manufacturers design new X-ray imaging devices with protocols and instructions that address use on pediatric patients.
By Nadin Abbott
Nothing but the Truth!
By Will Power
January 30, 2012 (San Diego)-- It a time of deep recession, caused by Big Banking’s unregulated greed, deep dishonesty, and unconscionable conspiracy to create monopoly conditions in energy and health care, the public found out that Mitt Romney was an unregenerate , greedy, dishonest speculator who threw Americans out of work and profited from the same.
January 23, 2012 (San Diego) – Assemblymember Marty Block is sponsoring a Senior Financial Care and Health Care seminar on Tuesday, January 31 from 9:30-11:30 a.m. It will be held at The College Avenue Center at Beth Jacob Synagogue, 4855 College Avenue in San Diego.
July 15, 2011 (San Diego) – Nine California residents, including Erica Tiscareno of San Diego, have won scholarships from United Health Foundation’s Diverse Scholars Initiative to pursue a career in health care.
May 5, 2011 (El Cajon) -- The public is invited to an open house for the new East Region Public Health Center in El Cajon at 460 North Magnolia Avenue, Suite 110 in El Cajon on Friday May 6 from 10:30 a.m. untill noon.
“The new health center location will provide an improved environment for the community to obtain the health services they need,” said Supervisor Dianne Jacob, San Diego County Board of Supervisors.
Nothing but the Truth!
By Will Power
August 13, 2010 (San Diego)--Gerontologists have come up with startling news. The length of your life is dependant not on genetics, but on income. The richer you are, the longer you live.
While this seems like a self-fulfilling prophesy, it is also an indictment of a US system of health care that rewards the rich at the expense of the poor.