ATKINS BILL TO RESTRICT IVORY SALES PASSES ASSEMBLY

Total Views: 22 East County News Service June 9, 2015 (Sacramento) – The California Assembly has passed Assembly Bil 96, a measure to protect elephants and rhinos by strengthening rules on the ivory and rhino horn trade. AB96 by Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins would end the state’s exemption for selling ivory imported before 1977 The bill would also impose stiff civil and criminal penalties for ivory sales. Atkins, a San Diego Democrat, says California is a top market for ivory and that this could significantly reduce demand. Jeff Flocken, North American Regional Director for the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), praised the action. “The ivory trade anywhere is a threat to elephants everywhere,” he says. “ IFAW applauds the actions taken by the California State Assembly to help end the illicit wildlife trade in the U.S. Given that California is a top market for ivory sales, Tuesday’s vote to end the sale of elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn and increase penalties is a big step towards reaching that goal. Such legislative action effectively reduces demand for ivory in the U.S. and helps to build momentum for global action. “ The measure applies only to new ivory, not antique ivory or items made from it, such as scrimshaw carvings or piano keys. But IFAW wants to see the measure amended and strengthened when it reaches the State Senate, where Flocken hopes to see “the strongest possible language. He adds, “ “Experience shows that, until all trade loopholes are closed, poachers and traffickers can continue to find ways to keep the ivory trade alive at the expense of the world’s dwindling elephant populations,” Flocken adds. IFAW looks forward to working with the California legislature in sending a clear message that the lives of these majestic and intelligent creatures is worth far more than the trinkets carved from their tusks. We urge the California Senate to take quick action to pass this legislation.” Printer-friendly version
COUNCILMAN TODD GLORIA ANNOUNCES BID FOR STATE ASSEMBLY

Total Views: 21 By Chris Jennewein Photo by Chris Stone Reprinted with permission from Times of San Diego, a member of the San Diego Online News Association (SDONA) April 9, 2015 (San Diego) –City Councilman Todd Gloria announced Tuesday that he will run for State Assembly in 2016 at the end of his council term. In an email to supporters, Gloria said he would be a candidate for the 78th District seat now held by Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins, who will be termed out. “I was truly humbled to serve as Interim Mayor of San Diego and to begin the process of restoring your trust in our city government,” said Gloria, who represents District 3 that covers much of central San Diego. “Together, we have stabilized the city’s budget, advocated for housing, protected our environment, and stood up for working families. “I want to continue that progress as San Diego’s voice in our State Capitol…That’s why I’m announcing today that I am running for State Assembly in the 78th District.” In making the announcement, Gloria said former prosecutor and City Council candidate Sarah Boot would support his candidacy. Boot told supporters in an email that she was cancelling her campaign kickoff originally set for Thursday and returning unspent donations. “Todd and I are friends and allies, he has been serving our community well in public office for many years, and we see eye-to-eye on so many issues,” Boot said. Gloria described himself as “the proud son of a maid and a gardener” who worked hard to give their son opportunity. “This lesson from my parents is what motivates me every day to work on your behalf,” he said. “I’m excited to pursue this opportunity to continue to improve our incredible community as your Assemblymember.” Gloria had been mentioned as a possible candidate for mayor in 2016. In setting his sights on the state Assembly, he will face interim City Councilman and lifeguard Ed Harris, who announced his candidacy last November. Printer-friendly version
GOVERNOR VETOES FUNDS FOR UC AND CSU CAMPUSES
Total Views: 25 By Miriam Raftery October 4, 2014 (Sacramento)—Governor Jerry Brown earlier pledged to sign a $100 million funding bill for the University of California and California State University systems ($50 mlilion each)—but only if property tax revenues met or exceeded projections. The tax revenues fell short, and the Governor vetoed the measure. In his veto message, Brown said “unanticipated costs such as fighting the state’s extreme wildfires” as a reason for refusing to expend General Fund revenues on higher education. The percentage of the state’s budget spent on public universities and colleges has been slashed by more than half in recent years and students face record debt as tuition rates have soared. Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, issued a statement voicing disappointment in the Governor’s decision.“Given California’s continued economic rebound, we disagree with denying this funding simply because the money involved comes from Pot B instead of Pot A,” she said. Brown did, however, sign other higher education bills Saturday, including a measure that will increase access to the Cal Grants scholarship program by requiring high schools to electronically submit grade point averages for all graduating seniors to the California Student Aid Commission. Of the 230,000 high school seniors who completed their financial aid forms last year, about 50,000 were not considered because their GPAs could not be verified, the Sacramento Bee reports. Printer-friendly version