COUNCILWOMAN EMERALD TO RETIRE 2K

Total Views: 25 By Miriam Raftery Photo by Don Harrison April 14, 2015 (San Diego) – San Diego City Councilwoman Marti Emerald has announced plans to retire at the end of her term next year. “I’m hanging it up at the end of this term, December 2016,” Emerald told NBC 7 TV. Emerald has been battling breast cancer but posted on her Facebook page last fall that her doctors said she had an “excellent prognosis for full recovery.” An advocate for public safety, communities and labor issues including reforms to aid taxi cab drivers and supporting a minimum wage increase, Emerald chairs the Councils Committee on Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods. She has served on the City Council since 2008. She represented District 7, which included inland communities such as Del Cerro, Allied Gardens and San Carlos, before moving and winning election in District 9, which includes City Heights and surround communities from Kensington and Talmadge south to Mountain View and Southcrest. The district is heavily Democratic and Emerald, a Democratic in the nonpartisan seat, would have been heavily favored to win had she run for reelection. Prior to her election to the Council, Emerald was a broadcast journalist for more than 30 years, including over two decades as a consumer “troubleshooter” on KGTV 10 News. She currently resides in the College area. Printer-friendly version
2K viewsWITNESSES SOUGHT TO ARSON FIRES IN CITY HEIGHTS 2.2K
Total Views: 34 East County News Service November 24, 2014 (City Heights) — The San Diego Police is rounding up suspects in a wave of arson fires that have struck Mid-City neighborhoods in recent weeks. Investigators believe several arsonists may be responsible for at least 16 fires set mostly in neighborhoods in and near City Heights. Now, investigators are asking for the public’s help. Councilwoman Marti Emerald’s office received a briefing from the Metro Arson Strike Team (MAST). The Councilwoman, who represents City Heights, says, “We need witnesses to any of these fires or suspicious activity to come forward. So far, these arsonists have damaged cars and other property. But the next fire could harm or kill innocent people. These criminals must be stopped.” The fires began in September. The most recent was last week, November 12. The public is encouraged to call 911 if they see any suspicious behavior. If you have any photos or video in the areas where the fires were set showing suspects, please call MAST at 619-236-6815. The public is also asked to clear debris out of alleys near their homes or businesses so they do not become the next victim in this string of arson fires. Printer-friendly version
2.2K viewsA WIN FOR TAXI DRIVERS AT SAN DIEGO CITY COUNCIL 2.2K
Total Views: 36 East County News Service November 11, 2014 (San Diego) – San Diego’s City Council on Monday voted 8 to 1 to remove the cap on the number of taxi cab permits issued by the city. Supporters led by Councilwoman Marti Emerald said the limit on caps had created an underground market. Permits issued initially for a $3,000 fee were being resold for up to $140,000—with cab owners passing on costs to drivers, who were forced to work long hours at low wages. Council also voted to require that cabs be no older than 10 years. In addition, taxi permit holders now need to have only six months of driving or management experience; previously the requirement was five years. Councilwoman Lorie Zapf cast the only vote against the changes, stating that she believed the changes should be phased in. According to Metropolitan Transmit Service (MTS) and the Sheriff, 89 percent of taxi drivers in San Diego don’t have their own permits. The system resulted in drivers working dangerously long hours and working while sick. It also discouraged drivers from reporting vehicle damage, according to United Taxi Workers of San Diego. But opponents say the changes will put more taxis on the street, making it even harder for existing cab companies to compete against new ride-sharing services such as Uber, which currently don’t have to meet the same rules, though a new state law that takes effect next summer will require ride-sharing services to carry insurance. They contend that could result in drivers earning even less. Printer-friendly version
2.2K viewsTAXI DRIVERS SEEK FAIR SHARE: HEARING SET SEPT. 18 0
Total Views: 26 By Miriam Raftery September 9, 2014 (San Diego’s East County) – Many years ago, Councilwoman Marti Emerald and City Attorney Jan Goldsmith both worked as cab drivers. Now they are leading efforts to reform the City of San Diego’s taxicab policies and help hard-working cabbies. In San Diego, 94% of cab drivers are immigrants, most of them (71%) African refugees living in City Heights, a diverse and economically disadvantaged community. But according to a report titled “Driven to Despair” prepared by San Diego State University and the Center for Policy Initiatives, the average taxi cab driver locally makes just $5 an hour. These drivers must work 70 hours a week to earn as much as a minimum wage worker would earn in a 40-hour work week. Plus virtually all cab drivers (99%) have no healthcare benefits or workers’ compensation insurance. A key problem is that in San Diego, only a limited number of permits to operate taxis are issued – and these are resold in the marketplace for tens of thousands of dollars more than their purchase price. Thus drivers pay high lease rates and can’t afford to become owners of the cabs that they drive. They also have to pay for gas, repairs, car washes and other expenses. Immigrant cab drivers first tried unsuccessfully to negotiation with lease holders and with the Metropolitan Transit System before finding sympathetic ears at City Hall. At a July Public Safety Committee meeting, the United Taxi Workers of San Diego mobilized hundreds of tax drivers to speak about reforms including lifting the cap on city-issued taxi cab permits, as well as reforms to vehicle age limits and other changes to help drivers and their families attain the American dream. On August 28th at a press conference Councilmember Marti Emerald and City Attorney Jan Goldsmith held a press conference to announce proposed reforms including lifting the cap on the number of permits, an announcement that drew cheers. Goldsmith also shared his report, “Removing the Current Limitation on the Number of Taxicab Permits.” (For video of the news conference please visit: http://youtube/jLvP44J7Ycs) This item will be heard in the September 18 Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods Committee meeting at 1 p.m. at City Hall, 202 C Street in downtown San Diego. Printer-friendly version
0 views