DEADLINE FOR REQUESTS FOR DISASTER ASSISTANCE IS APRIL 15

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

 

East County News Service

March 23, 2017 (Sacramento) - State agencies, local and tribal governments, as well as certain private nonprofit organizations, which sustained damage during severe winter storms from Jan. 18 to Jan. 23, have until April 15, 2017, to submit Requests for Public Assistance (RPA).

On March 16, 2017, the President approved a major disaster declaration for the State of California. The declaration provides federal funds to help communities recover from the severe winter storms, flooding, and mudslides that occurred from Jan. 18 to Jan. 23, 2017. 

Submitting an RPA to the state is the first step in applying for funding under the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Public Assistance program.

Federal funding is available to State, Tribal, and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by severe winter storms, flooding, and mudslides in 16 counties: El Dorado, Kern, Los Angeles, Mendocino, Napa, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Trinity, Tuolumne, and Yolo.

FEMA reimburses applicants for no less than 75 percent of eligible expenses – the other 25 percent is the non-federal share. The federal portion is paid directly to the State, which disburses the funds to the applicants.

In addition to Public Assistance (PA) grants, additional funds will be available in California under FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP). It is a cost-share program administered by the State that provides supplemental financial assistance to public entities and certain private nonprofits to reduce risks to life and property in future disasters.

More information about the PA program is available at www.fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit. More information about the HMGP is available at www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program.

Additional information about the declaration is available at www.fema.gov/disaster/4305. More information about applying for the PA program is available at http://www.caloes.ca.gov/for-governments-tribal.